There are 6 rules of Podcamp (There used to be 7, but former rule #4 dictating that PodCamps be free was revoked after PodCamp Boston 2). The rules governing the organization and execution of PodCamps are (as listed by co-founder Chris Penn):
- All attendees must be treated equally. Everyone is a rockstar.
- All content created must be released under a Creative Commons license.
- All attendees must be allowed to participate. (subject to limitations of physical space, of course)
- All sessions must obey the Law of 2 Feet – if you’re not getting what you want out of the session, you can and should walk out and do something else. It’s not like you have to get your money’s worth!
- The event must be new-media focused – blogging, podcasting, video on the net.
- The financials of a PodCamp must be fully disclosed in an open ledger, except for any donor/sponsor who wishes to remain anonymous.
My guess is that there will soon be a new rule #7 instituted after PodCamp NYC 2 this next weekend.
If you don’t understand this, just smile and nod. :)