This is an open comments style post, so I want your comments.
The thing about my “beat”, as they’d call it in the newspaper business, is that I’m not really all that interested in “the news”. I’m not trying to cover all the stories, nor am I trying to cover most of them. I’m not trying to “break” anything or peddle products. I want to understand how social software affects my life. And yours.
Text comments will be deleted in this thread as I want video comments. ;) Click on the Sessmic Video comments link below. If you don’t already have one, grab a free account over at Seesmic.com.
This is what I want to know. How has social software benefited you? This is open ended and I want you to define what I mean by this. Some example questions might be:
- How you got a job using LinkedIn
- How you found an old crush on Facebook
- How blogging helped you gain support for a good cause
- How you used Flickr to communicate to your family on the other side of the world
- How you used Brightkite to track your migration habits
- How Twitter made the World Series special for you
- How you had a brilliant entrepreneurial idea from a discussion on FriendFeed
- How you used VC portfolio companies to attract the attention of a VC and get funded
- How you made a career by offering advice on a blog
These are easy examples. I want you to offer your own insight on how, sometime, somewhere, social tools have enhanced your life. Tell us your story on video. If you don’t, I’ll look like a complete idiot for this format – but I’m okay with that. :)